Providing resources for assisting like-minded fathers in understanding and performing their God-given responsibilities in fatherhood


Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Respect for the Office

So I'm doing two things I try not to do:

1. Make a post on my blog with a link to a post in another blog (I link to other blogs, just not to specific posts)

2. Make a post about politics

However, this post from Graced Again summed up what I've been thinking for awhile now. Because he threw in a father/son analogy, I feel empowered to send you over there!

Romans 13 is clear that our responsibility is to submit to authorities. This doesn’t mean we have to agree with everything they do or even work to change their policies. It certainly doesn’t mean we have to reelect them in four years. It does mean that we are to show them respect as we criticize them and as we disagree, because they are the elected leader of our nation.

My best example of this is in my own family. My boys may not always agree with me. I am certainly not always respectable. They are expected, because of my position, to always respect me. They don’t have to agree with me. As they become adults they may not even have to obey me, but my position as their father should garner their respect. (I hope they are reading!)



2 comments:

Ron Edmondson said...

Thanks for the link. Love your blog. Also started following you on Twitter. Glad to meet.

Brandon said...

This is a big, important topic to me.I wrote a very similar article over a year and half ago, but it's definitely relevant, even now.

You can access it here.