Providing resources for assisting like-minded fathers in understanding and performing their God-given responsibilities in fatherhood


Monday, October 27, 2008

Chess for Kids

I think I've been bitten by a bug I haven't had in years: playing chess!

I have distinct memories of my dad sitting in the living room for hours wrestling with a "computerized" chess board (personal computers were a new thing in those days). I never could beat the guy when we would play, but I always enjoyed the time together.

I've played with my kids at various times through the years, but I have never really been challenged to improve my game...until now. My 10 yr old has a natural knack for abstract strategy so he's making me work a little harder.

If you have never taken the time to sit down and "do the chess thing" with your kids, here's a web page with some substantive and anecdotal inspiration:

The New York City Schools Chess Program included more than 3,000 inner-city children in more than 100 public schools between 1986 and 1990. Based on academic and anecdotal records only, Christine Palm writes that the Program has proven that:

  • Chess dramatically improves a child's ability to think rationally
  • Chess increases cognitive skills
  • Chess improves a child's communication skills and aptitude in recognizing patterns
  • Chess results in higher grades, especially in English and Math studies
  • Chess builds a sense of team spirit while emphasizing the ability of the individual
  • Chess teaches the value of hard work, concentration and commitment
  • Chess instills in young players a sense of self-confidence and self-worth
  • Chess makes a child realize that he or she is responsible for his or her own actions and must accept their consequences
  • Chess teaches children to try their best to win, while accepting defeat with grace
  • Chess allows girls to compete with boys on a non-threatening, socially acceptable plane


No comments: