Providing resources for assisting like-minded fathers in understanding and performing their God-given responsibilities in fatherhood


Tuesday, December 4, 2007

e-Sword

I'm sword shopping! Strange as it sounds, I am researching for the purchase of a sword for my oldest son's 16th birthday. He received a shield at 13 and now it's time to take it up a notch...leading to his pronouncement as a "knight" when he turns 19.

I'm sure I'll have many posts in the weeks ahead as I dive into the complex world of sword buying.(ever notice how whatever field of interest you get into, there's always a lot more there than you bargain on?)

In the meantime, here's a segue to a tool that no man should be without: e-Sword. From the author:


e-Sword is a fast and effective way to study the Bible. e-Sword is feature rich and user friendly with more capabilities than you would expect in a free software package. The fact that e-Sword is free is just one of the blessings and does not speak of the quality of the software. I make my living writing software and I believe I have put forth my best effort in this endeavor.

3 comments:

brandonandkatie said...

I've recently changed over to an ESV from using the NIV all my life. Though I still like the way the NIV reads, the ESV is a modern day word-for-word translation, and I think that is important for good Bible study. The also have what's called the "Battlezone Bible" which is encased in metal and can be thrown into a backpack with no worries. You definitely need to see it in person because the text is pretty small on that thing.

Also, there is an ESV journaling Bible which is really, really cool (especially if you spring for the expensive, fancy leather binding).

Anyway, you may have known all this already. If not, you can check this stuff out at www.esv.org.

Brandon Price
www.brandonandkatie.com

Brandon said...

Wow...I'm sorry...I read your post as soon as I woke up, and I attend a church where the preacher almost never calls the Bible a Bible, but a sword.

I was just sitting here reading a book and it hit me: you mean a real sword! Now I feel like an idiot.

Regardless, I stand behind what I said about the spiritual sword. ESV seems to be good people.

:o)

Brandon
www.brandonandkatie.com

Dave Conklin said...

Brandon,

Not a problem. I went back and read my original post and it is not really clear that I'm talking about a real, high carbon-steel, medieval replication sword. :)

Thanks for the tips on the ESV...I was not aware of it. I switch between my NASB & NKJV.

Dave