Providing resources for assisting like-minded fathers in understanding and performing their God-given responsibilities in fatherhood


Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Stereotypes of Men in Media

Here's a quick article from the Media Awareness Network that summarizes a recent report identifying the most common male stereotypes portrayed in the media.

When I read it I immediately felt outraged and bemoaned the "evil Hollywood machine"...but as I thought about it more, I had to admit that in the past I have portrayed and accepted these stereotypes in my own life.

Hopefully seeing these for what they are will help us avoid falling into them. Especially hard to stomach is this one:

The Buffoon commonly appears as a bungling father figure in TV ads and sitcoms. Usually well-intentioned and light-hearted, these characters range from slightly inept to completely hopeless when it comes to parenting their children or dealing with domestic (or workplace) issues.


I hope to never portray that stereotype again!

No comments: