Providing resources for assisting like-minded fathers in understanding and performing their God-given responsibilities in fatherhood


Monday, November 26, 2007

Mountains to Climb

Afraid to take a risk with your son? Concerned you may be overprotective and not letting your son experience the fullness of what it means to be a man-in-training?

This short little article about a blind boy, his desire to climb a mountain, and his father's reactions inspired me to examine some of my thoughts on this topic. I like this quote from the article:

I know what it takes to prepare and I am aware of the risks and hazards involved, some of which can be very serious, Marty said. “As I considered taking Cody up a mountain, worrisome thoughts pounded my mind. What if something happened? What would his grandparents think, or his mother? What would the neighbors say? I had visions of it.

“That careless, reckless father, what was he thinking? Doesn’t he know better than to take a blind kid mountain climbing? That’s just asking for trouble.”

I wonder how often we fall into this same mindset in other aspects of raising our boys? Do we "play it safe" to avoid failure or embarrassment?

May we have the courage to follow God's Spirit in our efforts to train up our sons, and as the closing of the article encourages, may we have an attitude that says:

If we hadn’t made it, we’d just have tried again, until we did

No comments: